Please refer to the Contest Guide for critical information regarding each contest on this list.
June 15, 2019
Sponsor: Cheryl Miller
Theme: Ubi sunt
Line Limits: 40 min., 50 max.
Additional Prize Money!
1st $40, 2nd $30, 3rd $20
The 2019-2020 Program Year Open Contests will be updated soon. Thanks for your patience!
The Poetry Society of Colorado is proud to offer a wide range of open contests throughout the year. You do not have to be a member of PSC to submit your work to these contests.
Open Contest Rules:
- Anyone 18+ may submit poems to a PSC Open Contest.
- Contest themes are not to be used as Poem Titles.
- Entry fee: $5/poem. Each poet may enter up to three original poems. No previously published work will be accepted.
- All submissions must arrive by published submissions dates. Plan accordingly.
- If a pen name or pseudonym is used, the author must also submit his/her legal or alternative name or the entry will be disqualified.
- A single poet can win no more than two cash prizes for each contest.
- There are no age restrictions for Open Contests.
- A contest may be cancelled if fewer than ten poems are entered.
- Submission of entries presumes permission for the name of the winner to be posted on the PSC website AND for winning entries to be anthologized in the yearly Poets' Showcase unless the contest director is notified otherwise in writing.
- Poem submission line limit: 40 lines (unless otherwise stated)
- Proper submission form must be followed to qualify for contests.
- Refer to the corresponding Contest Guide for each contest (see right column).
- Submit two typed copies of each poem on 8½ x 11-inch paper.
- Use a 1-inch margin on all sides for each submission, including artwork.
- In upper left-hand corner of first copy put "Poetry Society of Colorado" on first line; put name of contest and date on second line; put theme and form on third line. No name or address should appear on this copy.
- In upper left-hand corner of second copy put the same information as on the first copy. In the upper right-hand corner of the second copy put your name on the first line, and address on the second and third lines. If a pen name/pseudonym is used, include legal name.
- Enclose a check for the entry fee of $5.00 for each poem entered made payable to: Poetry Society of Colorado.
- Send two copies of all entries to the contest director:
Cheryl Wilkie, 8930 West 57th Avenue, Arvada, CO 80002
- Entries must be postmarked or submitted at a Poetry Society meeting by the deadline date.
- Winning entries, including honorable mentions, will be returned at a meeting or mailed to the winners. Winning and non-winning entries will be returned if accompanied by a self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) with sufficient first-class postage.
- Independent judges will provide written critiques on ALL poems submitted and give a list of winners to the contest director. Refer to the Contest Guide for important information regarding judging criteria. (listed in the right column).
Contest Prize Structure (unless specified otherwise):
- 1st Place: $25
- 2nd Place: $15
- 3rd Place: $10